Monday, July 20, 2015

A Letter to Liberty.

Yesterday evening, I was sitting on a couch in the lobby of our church building. Attempting to spend my free hour reading and writing, I read a paragraph before this preteen girl came walking up to me. She chose to ignore my not-so-subtle wish for solitude, instead plopping down next to me and chattering away. As the mostly one-sided conversation continued (I'll give you one guess as to who was doing all the talking), she asked how long I had been attending Liberty Baptist.

"My family's been here for 17 years this fall," I replied.
Her eyes nearly popped out of her head. (She was a tad dramatic, but I'm not one to judge that...)
"Seventeen years are you KIDDING me?!?!?!"
"......No."
"That's such a long time! That's, like, your whole life!"

And while in the moment, that conversation was an inconvenience, it made me think. It's very true; seventeen years is a long time. So I began to look back on those years, and all I could find was beautiful memories and gratitude for the people who created them.

A bit of background:

My family moved here when I was seven years old. South Dakota was all I'd ever known, and moving across the country absolutely terrified me. I was leaving my school, my friends, my house, my church, and at the age of seven, that was my entire world.

Upon arriving in Appomattox, Virginia, I found myself immersed in a different climate, a different culture and a completely different life. There were church members waiting to help us move into our house. We had church members bringing food for an army. There were even children of church members waiting to be my friends. It felt too good to be true.

Seventeen years later, I can tell you that it was true, and is to this day. For the three of us, hundreds of miles away from any extended family, these people were our family. They still are.

A lot of things have changed over the years, as to be expected. Pastors leave, new ones arrive. People come and go, leaders shift around. But every time I walk through those doors, I feel as though I'm coming home again. And that is something I believe will never change, no matter where I may go in life.

While sitting in church yesterday morning, I was journaling, and what I wrote still rings true.
(Side Note: Sometimes I journal in letters. It makes my writing feel more personal.)



Dear Liberty,

Today I'm sitting in church, and I keep looking around and seeing things that I love so much, things that are so dear to my heart. My father leading his beloved choir, my pastor who leans over in his classic awkward way to say, "How long ya in for?" and simply remembering 17 years of Sundays spent in this wonderful place. I've never been able to find another church that even comes close to resembling this, and I doubt I ever will. This sanctuary is filled with people that have shaped me and changed my life forever. 
I look around and I see Doris Nash (or Momma D), my 5th grade Sunday School teacher. 
I see Geri Granato, who was such a huge part of my time in youth group. 
I see Rodney and Rhonda Kane, who are my best friend's parents and loved me as an honorary child over the years. 
I see Melissa Small, who helped me navigate through the drama of being a teenager and encouraged me to use my struggles as stepping stones to strength. 
I see Jim Smith, who made up a secret handshake with me as a child and still remembers it to this day.
I see Mary Hancock, our church secretary who always let me sit at her desk and never got upset at me for changing her computer background when she wasn't looking. 

And even watching Rusty preach, I am flooded with memories of all of our conversations over the years. How grateful I am for a youth leader that would let me pop into his office, just to talk about his new stack of Hebrew notecards, or my confusion over where heaven really is. Being a ministers' child, I think I was privileged to see a side of him--and the other staff--that many people didn't see on a regular basis. I sometimes forget how glad I am to have known Rusty Small like I have.

I'm currently reading a book by Donald Miller, called "Searching for God Knows What," and he says this:

"I believe now and will always believe that if we are willing to love people, God will pour out His resources to bless our lives and our efforts."

This statement is full of truth, and no church has exemplified this truth as you have. You have loved people in countless ways, and God truly has blessed Liberty because of your passion for loving others.

There are many, many new faces that I don't recognize, and I know that in just a few weeks I'll be off once again to another place. But while I'm here, I simply wanted to take the time to say thank you to a home church that truly is home. Thank you for shaping, growing and guiding me into the person that I am today. I can honestly say that there will never be another church like Liberty Baptist for me. This place has been my life...and the people within its walls have stolen my heart.

I love you all, forever.

1 comment:

  1. Alexis. Tears. So completely true in every was possible. Love you and this church I call "home" so much. :)

    Hugs!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete