Thursday, November 17, 2016

Week #45: To The Men Who Were There.


My 2016
Week #45


To the Men Who Were There.


I have some truly amazing men in my life.

That's quite a bold statement to make right off the bat, but it is the truth. And I have never known it as clearly as I know it after this week.

This week was one full of beautiful, lovely moments...but it was also shadowed by several deeply discouraging experiences.

I had an amazing weekend with a group of my friends: Memorable.
As my Theatre Appreciation class drew to a close, I felt like it was not a good reflection of my ability to teach: Disheartening.
I gave a great Boards presentation and received excellent comments from the faculty: Inspiring.
I totally bombed my final Design presentation and knew I disappointed my professor: Devastating
I got to give Cherrie her birthday presents, which she ended up loving: The Best.
I cried for a total of 3 1/2 hours today: The Worst (especially for my contacts).

And in the midst of all of this craziness, these men were there for me; both in big, demonstrative ways and momentary, meaningful ones. It's hard for me to put into words how overwhelmed I am by the amount of times throughout this week I have been impacted and affected by them...in a very good way. 

Therefore, in light of Thanksgiving coming up, here's an explanation of why I'm thankful for these men.

I'm thankful for Eric
I'm thankful that he was willing to come over on a Saturday and teach Emilie and I how to cook chicken parmesan...even though he left the apartment for 5 minutes and I managed to explode spaghetti sauce all over the wall, floor and stove. 
I'm thankful that he didn't get mad about it.
I'm thankful to have him in my life.

I'm thankful for Mitchell.
I'm thankful for the encouragement he gave me yesterday when I was talking about my class. I was explaining that I'm trying to focus on the few students who were influenced and impacted by the course to appreciate theatre more, and he said, "That was me last year; I wouldn't be friends with all of you or be involved in the department if it wasn't for Theatre Appreciation. So just think about having a few of me in every class, and you'll be just fine."
I'm thankful that we're also able to laugh, and that he has the same sense of humor as me...deliciously awkward.
I'm thankful to have him in my life. 

I'm thankful for Travis.
I'm thankful for his willingness to listen to a freaked-out first-time teacher despair. 
I'm thankful for his wisdom and patience with my complaints that I know will one day seem oh-so-silly...and he says, "I've been there, and I made it. You will too."
I'm thankful to have him in my life. 

I'm thankful for Drew.
I'm thankful for a friend who lives in California but keeps up with my life enough to know that I had a bad day.
I'm thankful for the fact that he knows me SO freaking well, and know exactly what to do when I'm feeling like the world's biggest letdown. He leaves me a voicemail that simply says, "You don't have to call me back, but I just want you to know that you have never disappointed me, and I love you." 
I'm thankful to have him in my life.

I'm thankful for Josiah.
I'm thankful for his loyalty, even when we have totally failed at communicating this quarter and I have no idea what's going on in his world.
I'm thankful that he took the time to text me and say "Hey. I love you. And I'm proud of you, your worth ethic, your stamina, your heart, and so much more. Just for the record." 
I'm thankful that we can love each other without needing to constantly express it...because it's understood. 
I'm thankful to have him in my life.

I'm thankful for Justin.
I'm thankful to answer an unknown phone number and realize that I'm hearing his voice after 15 months of wishing I could.
I'm thankful to have that awkward "So, how was your...year?" conversation and try to catch him up on the highs and lows of my life in grad school.
I'm thankful to hear the words, "I've been wanting to talk to you" when your deepest fear has been that you're forgotten.
I'm thankful to hear the cries of my heart being answered by a God who is so faithful.
I'm thankful to have him in my life again. 


Today, I felt like a failure in many different ways.
But at least I have so many genuine, kind, caring, thoughtful, loyal, and compassionate men who: 
Make me laugh through the stress,
Give me confidence to keep going,
Reassure me of my worth,
Remind me of their presence,
and prove, time and time again, their infinite importance to me.

Thank you all for being who you are. 
I am overwhelmingly grateful to know you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment