Saturday, January 16, 2016

What's Wrong With Being Confident?



My 2016
Week #2




What's Wrong With Being Confident?


Yes, I realize that the title of this post is from a Demi Lovato song. I usually try to avoid admitting things like that...however, this is the perfect line to sum up what the past week has been for me.

Here at Louisiana Tech, we are smack dab in the middle of rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty, which is a massive children's fairytale extravaganza. Along with being an Assistant Director and in charge of the 7-9 year old group, I also choreographed 6 of the dances for the show. This past week has been dubbed Choreography Week; in other words, every night I had to clamber up on the stage and attempt to teach people how to move in a coordinated and graceful fashion. Needless to say, I'm utterly exhausted.

This isn't my first time creating and teaching choreography. I danced for years and choreographed numbers for all ages and all types of performances. However, this was my first time taking a leading role like this at Tech. I'd never had to direct or instruct these people; they were mostly my peers, and I felt a little awkward about it.

Looking back on the beginning of this week, I realize that I'd forgotten an important element in teaching, in directing, in theatre: Act like you know what you're doing and everyone will follow you. In other words, fake it till you make it. (Sorry for the cliché.)

In my Directing class, we're reading a series of essays by Anne Bogart entitled "A Director Prepares."  One of the quotes we read this week really jumped out at me in light of the current events transpiring.

When I am lost in rehearsal, when I am stymied and have no idea what to do next or how to solve a problem, I know that this is the moment to make a leap. Because directing is intuitive, it involves walking with trembling and terror into the unknown. Right there, in that moment, in that rehearsal, I have to say "I know!" and start walking towards the stage. During the crisis of the walk, something must happen; some insight, some idea...The walk creates a crisis in which innovation must happen, invention must transpire.

And folks--that was me all week. There were so many moments where something wasn't working, something didn't look right...and I had to make that terrifyingly short walk from my seat to the stage, frantically thinking of what I could possibly do to improve the situation. Most of the time I didn't have an idea when I started the walk. But I've learned through experience (and Bogart) that even if I don't know the exact remedy, I suggest something, ANYTHING, in a confident and bold manner. Most of the time, people will adopt your confidence and follow your direction. 

I started out the week with a huge fear of failure and of losing the respect of everyone involved. But at the end, I have learned to have confidence despite a lack of innovation, and to lead without wavering despite a lack of certainty. It all worked out just fine, and now I have a valuable skill under my belt for future endeavors.

Here's to a brand new week, my readers. May you have the confidence to accomplish all of your goals, no matter how terrifying they may seem at first. 

After all, there's nothing wrong with being confident. 


No comments:

Post a Comment