Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week #4: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Thankful.





My 2016
Week #4





What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Thankful.

I'm not sure where or how to begin this post. The past week has consisted of 8 Sleeping Beauty performances in 6 days. We opened Tuesday night, had both morning school matinees and evening performances on Wednesday and Thursday, evening shows on Friday and Saturday, then a matinee today followed by an event for families called Royal Tea. It felt like the week lasted 7 years, yet thinking back on it, seems like a blur of costume changes, kids jumping, and my hair turning grey.

The first half of this post is going to be about my kids. This entire experience has been a journey for me. When I first volunteered to be an Assistant Director for this show, the director assured me that I would be placed with the high schoolers. He knew I wasn't the biggest fan of children and that I didn't work well with them. However, the night we cast the show he looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to switch you to another group." The reason he gave made sense, but my brain immediately began panicking. Children don't like me. I don't like them. This was NOT going to work.

First night of rehearsals arrived, and I quickly realized that these kids were....different. Theatre kids are energetic, full of life, and incredibly creative. They had personalities that leapt out at me and made me want to know them better. I began to think that this might not be as bad as I had convinced myself it would be.

Fast forward to this week. We had our challenges; there were many, many times when I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor because they could not FOR THE LIFE OF THEM WHISPER BACKSTAGE HOW IS THAT SO DIFFICULT. *sigh* But we made it. 
We struggled through the early mornings and the late nights. 
We trudged through the terribly stressful costume changes (getting 11 kids to change clothes by themselves is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life). 
We celebrated when the audience responded positively to our scenes. 
We were beyond thrilled when we performed for 1000 kids during one school matinee. 
We made it...and today, before our final performance, I told them, "I hope that this experience has taught you to love theatre and that it won't be your last show." And I sincerely meant it. 
These kids stretched me beyond my limit...but I'm much better for it now. I may have dreaded this process in the beginning, but now I'm thankful for the memories and the impact I hopefully made on these children.

***

Another stressful part of this week was the event I mentioned earlier, the Royal Tea. Due to some miscommunication and uncertainty, I ended up pulling the event together (with the invaluable assistance of a few other grad students) yesterday and today. It was, without a doubt, the most stressful experience of my time at Tech (and possibly of the past few years). I was completely thrown into the situation with no time to react or think...I just had to get it done. Bottom line. There was no escape, no alternate solution. I was in charge and it was up to me. 

And this is where the title of my post comes from. There were a few moments in the last 48 hours that I literally thought this would be the death of me. Even today, less than 30 minutes before the Royal Tea was to begin, there was a huge mishap that almost threw the entire event into shambles. I walked into the room and 3 of my cohorts were whispering in a huddle. They all looked up and saw me...and their eyes screamed, "Don't tell Alexis, she's going to have a meltdown."

However, after they delivered the bad news...
 I took a deep breath, a long sip of my Diet Coke and said "Ok. We'll figure it out." 

Those of you who know me know that I NEVER respond to stress in this fashion. EVER.

But I was calm, collected and managed to maintain my composure until the situation was resolved. The event proceeded as planned, everyone loved it, and it went off without a hitch.

My professor came up to me, kissed me on the forehead, and said, "You were magnificent. I'll never doubt you again."

And so that, my friends, proves that what doesn't kill you makes you thankful. So very, very thankful. 

Here's to a much less stressful and monotonous week, my readers. May your lives be filled with scenarios that not only stretch and grow you, but allow you to look back with gratitude on the experiences and what you have learned from them. 

It may not seem like it now, but it will be worth it in the end.

 I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment