Sunday, February 21, 2016

Week #7: A Letter From A Recently Converted Introvert.




My 2016
Week #7



A Letter From A Recently Converted Introvert.


Dear World,

Since I've arrived at Tech, a certain aspect of my personality has drastically changed. Well, to be honest, it's been slowly developing over the past 2 years or so, but I've noticed it more in the time I've been in grad school. 

World: I'm becoming an introvert.

*gasp*

And I finally admitted it to myself this past week.

Those of you who knew me before now are probably shocked. I was one of the biggest extroverts in college; always making plans and forming groups and sending out Facebook party invitations. I loved being with people, and you would rarely find me alone...ever.

But now, it's almost nearly the opposite. At the end of the day I cannot wait to come home and be by myself. I don't really have a desire to go out every night and stay up late with people, being exhausted and energy deprived. Whether that's because I'm getting older or because of my surroundings, I don't know. But what I do know is that I'm becoming more of an introvert everyday. And I'm not upset about it.

Don't get me wrong; I have made some wonderful friends here. The people in the theatre department are great, and many of them care about me in a way I don't deserve. But I still value my time to myself. I enjoy sitting in my room, writing in my journal, reading a book, watching TV...just unwinding from the day's events. 

I just need you all to understand that it's nothing personal. If you invite me to do something and I say no, it's not because I don't like you. It's not because I don't enjoy being around you. Because I do! But at the end of the day, I reenergize by being alone. I've spent my entire day with people around me, and I just really need to be silent. 

Please don't hate me for it. Please don't cut me out of your life or your friend group. And please don't make me feel guilty for not being as sociable as you are. I may not be there every time you hang out, but I will be there sometimes....and I want to know that I'm still welcome every once in a while. So keep inviting me. I promise I'll take you up on it one day.

This is new territory for me. I'm learning how to handle it appropriately. Be patient. 

Sincerely,

An Introvert That Still Wants To Be Friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment