Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week #8: Making the Best of It.



My 2016
Week #8



Making the Best of It.


I've reached the end of Winter Quarter (Thank GOD). This quarter feels like it has gone on forever and ever, but after tomorrow I will be completely done. So, as I reflect over this past week, I'm filled with gratitude for everything I've learned...but I'm also beyond happy to see this quarter go far, far away. 

Monday consisted of an interview for my Graduate Directing class, during which our professor was selecting the future Director of our Graduate Showcase next quarter.

Tuesday involved leading a workshop at a local high school drama club with two of my friends.

Wednesday was Boards (Once a year, you go through an evaluation process with the faculty. You present something you've worked on in your area of emphasis, and the faculty talk to you about how you've grown and what you can improve upon). It was slightly unnerving because I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but overall it went very well, and I left the room feeling encouraged and confident.

Thursday I had a conversation with one of the voice professors at Tech, and he ended up telling me that he wants to find more ways to have me involved in the music department as an accompanist. Whether or not that will actually happen is up in the air, but nevertheless, it was so nice to be reaffirmed in my musical abilities. I miss being involved in music so much, and am hoping that I will have more opportunities to play while I'm here.

On Thursday evening I found out that I had indeed been selected as the Director for our graduate showcase. My initial reaction was shock, then elation, then an overwhelming feeling of stress...but I'm just so excited, the stress quickly dissipated. Directing is such a huge part of what I want to do in my life, and having this opportunity to actually lead a cast and create something wonderful makes my heart so happy. It's going to be a stretching experience, but I know I will come out on the other side so much more confident and capable. 

Finally, Friday was my dear friend Millie's birthday, and the department threw her a surprise party. It was so much fun to laugh and joke around with the people I see everyday, and to see the pure joy on Millie's face when she realized how many people here love her. 

It was a good week.

***

This morning, I was scrolling through my TimeHop, and a quote I posted a few years ago showed up. As I was reading it, I found that it applies perfectly to what I've experienced lately here at Tech.

"For what it's worth...it's never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people who have a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of, and if you're not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

I am making the best of it. 
I am going 100% for what I want out of life. 
I am meeting people who see things differently. 
I am living a life I'm proud of.

So here's to a brand new week, my readers. 
May you take Fitzgerald's advice and live life to the fullest. 
It's so worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment