Sunday, March 6, 2016

Week #9: Waiting for Act Two.



My 2016
Week #9



Waiting for Act Two.

So this week has been an interesting one for me.

Most of the theatre department at Tech left for SETC, a theater convention in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was unable to go, so I stayed at my professor's house for the week and watched over her Yorkie named Lucy. "Watching Lucy" meant that I took her for walks, fed her, and then spent every day on the couch watching TV and Harry Potter marathons. Quite the life, it was.

Anyway...one night I was sitting in bed, watching a movie and texting my best friend Morgan. We somehow got onto the subject of growing up and we figured out that over the years, we had stopped being "fun." 

Morgan and I have been best friends since I was in 8th grade...we grew up together and were there for all of each other's...shall we say, formative years. We used to do the most ridiculous and, well, fun things together. I know I'm only supposed to post one picture per blog post but I have to share the screenshots from this conversation because they help to make sense of what I'm trying to say.




                 

Another fact you should know: Morgan and I are obsessed with the Broadway musical "Little Women." Hate on it all you want, but we think it's beautiful and we make references to it quite a lot in our conversation. (Hence the above ASTONISHING message. I will not apologize.)

Morgan said that this moment was intermission, and tomorrow would start Act 2. I thought that was such a beautiful way of looking at life. I realize it's a tad dramatic, but this week I had a kind of breakdown about where I'm at right now. 

Think about it: 
I'm 24. 
I will be 25 in 2 months. 
I'm almost a year into my master's program. 
In a year and 2 months, I'll be graduated, out in the real world, hopefully working somewhere in theater and actually acting like a grownup. 
My life is about to get REAL. 

And it's terrifying. I feel like the above picture of Lucy, looking out the window at my future and wondering when I will have clarity about anything. 

Act Two is about to begin, my readers, but I'm trying my best to enjoy intermission while I still have the chance to leaf through the program of choices, talk to the people on either side of me and discuss what I think will happen in the second half. 

It's only intermission; anything can happen when the curtain rises again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment