Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 12: Tried and True.


My 2016
Week #12



Tried and True.


This past week, while filled with classes and rehearsals, ended in a much different environment. I went to Birmingham, Alabama, to spend Easter weekend with one of my dearest friends from Bryan College. Her name is Molly Sutton. Easter with the Suttons was a tradition we began while I was still a student at Bryan. For 3 years I would travel to their home for a few days; lounging on the couch, going out to eat, and catching up on each others' lives. It was always exactly what I needed at that point in the school year. 

However, when I graduated in 2013, I moved home and for the next 2 years spent Easter in Virginia with my family. But now that I'm in Louisiana, a 16 hour drive home seemed ridiculous for a 2 day break. So Molly and David graciously invited me to come stay with them once again, and the tradition was rekindled!

This weekend was no exception to the great memories I have of Easters past. Meeting Abigail, their 51 week old baby girl, was so sweet. It was strange (in a good way) to see college friends with a baby and functioning in parent mode, especially when I knew Molly in college. It's funny how life continues and people grow up, even after they're already grown up. 

I have to explain to you, my readers, why Molly is so special to me. When I arrived at Bryan College as a freshman, Molly was a senior. We were both piano majors, both in chorale together, and my first lead role as M'Lynn Eatenton in Steel Magnolias collided with her last role as Truvy. Within a few short months, a deep friendship was born. Molly was crazy, energetic and wise beyond her years. She was there for me through a lot of traumatic experiences my freshman year, and I know without a doubt that she is still there for me whenever I need her. Despite the fact that we rarely see one another, we are always able to pick up exactly where we left off, and talk together as though we hadn't spent a day apart. Our friendship is tried and true, and I will always be grateful for the way she and her husband David have welcomed me into their lives, even if it's only for a few days each year. They are so dear to my heart.

Another week is beginning at LA Tech, and now there are no more breaks left in the school year. Things are going to get stressful and I am going to wish for just one more day off. But regardless, I'm so glad that I was able to spend my last few days of freedom with a woman who changed my life at 18, and has continued to touch my life throughout the years, even from a distance. 

I love you, Molly.

No comments:

Post a Comment