Sunday, September 4, 2016

Week #34 & #35: Two Weeks' Worth.


My 2016
Week #34/#35


Two Weeks' Worth.

Well, for the first time since I started this project back in January...I missed a week.

[Disclaimer: If you lived the past 2 weeks as I did, you wouldn't have blogged either. So I feel like my one slip-up is completely justified.] 

After my last post, I spent my remaining days in Appomattox packing, packing and packing some more. On my very last day, our church produced a worship event called "Experiencing God: The Musical." My dad conducted an orchestra, my mom played the piano and I was able to sing in the choir. It was a wonderful way to conclude my month at home before the craziness begins once again. However, it was rather strange to pack up all of my belongings and leave my home; this time it felt different somehow. I know I'll be back for holidays and school breaks, but I couldn't help wondering if this was the last time I was leaving the house as an actual resident. Hopefully upon graduating in May I'll have a full time job, I'll actually be on my own...for good. It's disconcerting to leave your childhood behind in a room full of trinkets and memories. I'm an adult, I guess? Huh.

Anyway, on Monday morning my parents and I set out for Dayton, TN to pick up my roommate Emilie and all of her belongings. As we sat around the dinner table talking and laughing, I was reminded of how thankful I am for a best friend whose family embraces mine with absolutely no qualms. Her family is like my own, and vice versa. It's a truly beautiful thing. 

Tuesday brought one of the most exhausting road trips I have ever experienced. There was quite a caravan; the Uhaul, my car, Emilie's car, and Em's parents in a car. We stayed all together in a line for the entire 8 hours of driving, and when we finally arrived in Ruston everyone was absolutely spent. Of course, that's when we had to unload EVERYTHING and take it up stairs to our apartment. I've never been so grateful for dads who lift couches, mattresses and heavy boxes for me. I mean, what are dads for, am I right? ;) (They pleaded with us to get boyfriends who could do this sort of thing from now on...)

Our apartment has actually turned out so much better than I could have hoped. My bedroom is rather tiny, but I'm never going to be in there (hashtag gradschoolprobz) so it's really just fine. We're living right next door to another theatre student from Tech, which is a comfort to both of us. As much as I will miss living on campus with an apartment less than 2 minutes from the theatre, it's going to be great to drive away from school and actually be...away. No more fraternities screaming at 3 am. :) 

Our parents left, and Emilie and I have spent the last 3 days setting up all of our knick knacks, running errands, meeting friends for dinner and hang outs, and trying not to think about everything that's about to go down in a few days. We have tomorrow off, and then I'm required to show up at the theatre at 8:30 Tuesday morning, ready to tackle a brand new quarter. It's exciting but also....I'm tired just thinking about all I have on my plate. Then again, what else is new? I mean really. #mylife

So, that's really all I have to say at this point. I realize this blog post is more of a catching-up thing, but so much has happened that it's hard to put into words. However, don't worry; when classes start on Thursday, and MY CLASS STARTS ON FRIDAY, I'll have plenty to say, I'm sure. 

Here's to another quarter, another year, another go at this little thing called grad school. 

I got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment