Thursday, December 22, 2016

Week #49: Day By Day.

My 2016
Week #49


Day By Day.

As I look back over the last 10 days (yeah, it's longer than a week, I've been busy ok), it's crazy to see how every single day had at least one moment that jumps out at me; a moment that was beautiful, memorable or genuine. I love moments. I'm so lucky to have so many of them.

Monday, Dec. 12: Mr. Guinn was out of town and therefore out of rehearsal. He put Jess and I in charge...and while I was a little nervous about it, I had SO much fun. There's not many other things I love doing more than being on a stage and working through a scene with actors; finding those tiny details, those moments between characters that can become so incredibly significant and meaningful. It confirmed my belief that directing is an area in which I excel and am passionate about.

Tuesday, Dec. 13: Rough day. This particular day holds some difficult memories for a lot of reasons, and whenever it rolls around I tend to struggle quite a bit with feeling alone and rejected. However, instead of wallowing in it all day, I told my friends that I needed them...and when I came home from rehearsal, they were waiting for me. Even if I was still feeling alone, I knew that I wasn't. Even if I was still bogged down with feeling rejected, I knew that these people loved me. And that's enough.

Wednesday, Dec. 14: On Wednesday night, my friend Mitchell was in a Christmas play at his church, and our entire friend group was going to see him. But I had rehearsal (shocker), so I couldn't go. I felt terrible; my friends are always so supportive of us and I wanted to be the same kind of friend for him. But I texted him 'break a leg' before hand, and met up with them afterwards. I later found out that Emilie took a picture of me with her, and added it to the group photo so it was almost like I went. :) I hate being that friend, but at least he knew I wanted to be there for him, even if it was in spirit.

Thursday, Dec. 15: We had our first scene performances for Acting Styles, and afterwards one of the other graduate students came up to me and said, "Lex, you were completely captivating in that scene. I couldn't take my eyes off of you." It was so encouraging to hear someone who I consider to be an incredibly gifted actor say that to me. That afternoon, I spent 3 hours decorating Howard stage for our annual Christmas party. It was SO MUCH FUN. I wasn't completely in Christmas mode before that, but it definitely put me in the right frame of mind. 

Friday, Dec. 16: The School of the Performing Arts had their big Christmas party, and although I missed most of it, when I finally arrived I got to take pictures with everyone and had a good time with friends and professors. That night, TTP had their Secret Santa party, and I went up onstage and played the grand piano in the dark for a good 2 hours or so. You don't understand how much I miss playing the piano...now that it's not a part of my everyday life, my soul aches to make music and the few times I have the opportunity to just sit and play does wonders for my heart. 

Saturday, Dec. 17: That afternoon, we had our first full run-through of She Kills Monsters, which went really, really well. Alpha Psi Omega had their annual Winter Formal that night, and we all got dressed up and danced like freaks. Although slightly awkward at first, I had a really great time...and then afterwards, our little friend family got together and exchanged gifts, taking turns opening presents and immediately trying on everything we got each other...just like a family does. It was so cute, and I was so content to spend the evening with these people that I love so very much. 

Sunday, Dec. 18: While Emilie and I were sitting at home doing homework, our door flew open and 5 people came barging in from next door. We said from the beginning of the school year that we wanted our apartment to be a place where people felt that they were always welcome, and I think it's safe to say we've accomplished that. I love the fact that friends are constantly dropping by and spending the night and coming in to talk or hang out. 

Monday, Dec. 19: Our final run-through of She Kills Monsters before break was happening, and because I was so proud of how far the show had developed in the past 2 weeks, I invited several of my friends to come watch rehearsal...just for fun. The run went great (no surprise there), and it was so cool to have people not involved in the show watch it and say, "That was awesome, I can't wait to see the final product!" I'm so excited to be a part of something like this, and to have friends who support me in it is also very cool. 

Tuesday, Dec. 20: Emilie and I left on our road trip from Ruston to Dayton, Tennessee...a road trip that was only supposed to take 8 1/2 hours....and it ended up taking 12. It seemed like everything was going wrong, and on top of that, my long-awaited reunion with Justin (something I'll save for a different blog post) had to be cancelled because we took so long getting there. I was tired, frustrated, angry and disappointed...but at the end of the day we made it to Emilie's house and that's all that really mattered. My adventures with her are never boring, which I am thankful for. :) 

Wednesday, Dec. 21: I got up fairly early and made the remainder of the trip from Dayton to Appomattox, Virginia. To be honest, I was still completely exhausted and there were several times on the road where I was afraid of falling asleep. But God is faithful, and I made it home in one piece. My parents had decorated the entire house, and when I saw the Christmas lights in my room I almost cried. It hasn't really felt like Christmas...but now I'm home, I'm with my family, I'm watching a Christmas movie and the holiday season finally seems appropriate and perfect. 

These past 10 days have had so many different highlights for me. And despite the way I may have felt in the moment, I'm thankful for all of them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment