Sunday, July 17, 2016

Week #28: Just One Of Those Weeks.


My 2016
Week #28



Just One Of Those Weeks. 


Dear readers,

This week was.........something else. That's really all I can say. It consisted entirely of technical rehearsals, a flurry of costumes, figuring out how to adjust sound levels and fervently hoping I wouldn't royally screw up this production.

And you know what? Opening night went really well. The crowd was responsive, the cast was energetic, there were almost no technical difficulties (I know, right?) and I felt really great about it. Despite all of the frustration, the long nights and the miscommunication throughout the entire process, I was thankful I had decided to be a part of this project. It was all worth it in the end.

.....Until yesterday, when we had two shows in one day. I figured it would be rough, but I was totally unprepared for the level of exhaustion I felt. There was also a situation with one of the actors that was uncomfortable and unpleasant to deal with. Being the stage manager, I was the one who had to confront them and resolve it. The conversation didn't go well and as a result, I was severely distracted throughout the second show. Thankfully, we were able to patch things up afterwards, but by that time I was completely drained emotionally and the thought of doing another show today made me want to weep. I was tired of managing these people; I was so irritated by their attitudes and neediness. All of the things I had felt so good about the night before now seemed ridiculous. Why did I even take this job? With the exception of one cast member and my ASM, every single person involved in this production grated on my nerves. I had been hired to do one thing and suddenly found myself doing 7 other jobs as well. I wasn't being paid enough for this. Worst decision ever, Lex. 

Today I woke up with a sore throat and the feeling that I'd slept for 5 minutes. When everyone arrived at the courthouse, it soon became clear that the entire cast was running on fumes. Jim did his best to pump up everyone's energy, but the entire show felt like an uphill battle. I felt like I made about 100 mistakes; the lead singer's mic stopped working after intermission and we couldn't change it. Our director came over to the production table and was talking loudly to us during the show, right next to where audience members were seated. Actors dropped lines and the pacing was agonizingly slow. I missed a few lighting cues because we were trying to fix the mic problem and you know what? I actually CAN'T do everything by myself! That's not how this is supposed to work! Every single aspect of this show seems to be resting on my shoulders and I'm sorry, but I'm not good enough for that responsibility.

Oh, and guess what? Jim has given Friday's brush-up run through rehearsal over to me. He won't be there, and told the cast that I was going to be directing/stage managing/running the production table. 

Cause I needed one more thing on my to-do list.


*sigh*

But the show concluded, we all went home, and I'm currently sitting in my bed, wearing an oversized sweatshirt and reveling in the silence. We made it through weekend #1, and thankfully our director has given us 4 days completely off. I am going to sit by the pool, read a lot, spend time with friends and try not to think about packing up all of my stuff to go home in a week. I'm praying that these few days without thinking about the show will help to clear my head and regenerate my spirit. 

Cause gosh, I need it. 

4 shows down. 3 to go. 

Almost there.



No comments:

Post a Comment